Muddled Over Math
Determine what the child knows and what they don't know.
If they can do these, you are on the winning stretch — the remaining math skills are much easier to teach.
Strategy Considerations and Methods
Discover what works or doesn't work.
- Memorizing Math Facts Generally Doesn't Work
- Look for the System
- Build on What They Know
- Give Students 'Strategy Tools'
Generally, math is best taught as a system.
- For example, to teach multiplication as a system,
- '' can be taught as .
- so all 'times 4' facts can be taught by giving students this one instruction.
- eg., since the double of 6 is 12, then 4 × 6 = 12 + 12 = 24.
- Another strategy tool would be to show them the math ladder for subtraction.
Connecting Your Child to Math.
Build on, and add to, the child's existing strengths and knowledge.
For example, if you child has mastered their doubles, you can use them to teach:
addition related facts
use doubles plus one more
- eg., 5 + 4 = 4 + 4 + 1 = 9
times 2, 4, and 6
- eg., × 2 = a double; × 4 = a double + a double; ×6 = a double + a double + a double
other double related facts
- × 7 = times 5 + a double; × 8 = times 4 + times 4 (times 4 = a double + a double)
See our Math Lessons section.
Making Math Less of a Chore.
To learn math skills, students need to master a great number of skills. To be better equipped to empower these students to meet the challenges of math, parents and educators can access worksheets, resources and proven techniques on site to enrich your child's learning experience.
Teaching Resources for Math Skills for specifically designed worksheets, lesson plans, etc.
- teaching math worksheets for kids use proven techniques to help struggling students learn math concepts.
- practice math worksheets are carefully designed to progressively help students advance their basic math skills.
Our math worksheets are complete with answers so students can self-check their work.
Looking for a specific worksheet — go to the Website Index for a direct link.
Trusted Math Tools at Your Fingertips.
Developed to meet a growing demand for thorough and understandable material, Teach All Kids is committed to providing both free and paid member-only worksheets and usage advice based upon proven techniques that help your child or student to be more successful. Those choosing to become subscribed members for less than 57¢ a week will have immediate access to over 2,800 additional teaching resources.