Basic Math Strategies
Memorizing math facts often doesn't work for a struggling student.
to successfully deal with basic math facts.
Our math worksheets are not randomly generated, they are well-thought-out, strategically designed to help students progress through the mathematical learning process.
There are seven basic strategies:
Count up – if the number that is being added-on is less than 5 have the student use the points on the number to aid them as they count up.
- Count down – if the number that is being subtracted is less than 5 have the student use the points on the number to aid them as they count down.
Magic nine – for subtracting 9s, use the magic nine trick which is to add the top two numbers together.
- Math ladder – for two-digit (11–19) minus one-digit numbers. Take the bottom number and subtract it from ten, then add it to the ones digit of the top number.
Doubles – there are five doubles students should memorize, these can then be used for a related fact and regrouping.
eg., 5 + 5 = 10; 6 + 6 = 12; 7 + 7 = 14; 8 + 8 = 16; 9 + 9 = 18
(Do this by making it a game or a song: five plus five is ten, then say the alphabet, a nursery rhyme or count to twenty, then do the next double six plus six is twelve, etc.)
- eg., 5 + 5 = 10; 6 + 6 = 12; 7 + 7 = 14; 8 + 8 = 16; 9 + 9 = 18
Related facts – use a math fact they already know to solve a math fact they don't know.
- eg., 7 + 6, use 6 + 6 = 12, so 7 + 6 = 13. (one more)
- eg., 9 - 5, use 10 - 5 = 5, so 9 - 5 = 4. (one less)
Regroup – redistribute the addition numbers.
eg., 8 + 6
take one from the 8 and give it to the 6
8 + 6 = 7 + 7 = 14.
- eg., 8 + 6
Basic Strategy Worksheets — Mastering Math
- Teaching Basic Strategies Math Worksheets use proven techniques to help struggling students learn math concepts.
- Practice Basic Strategies Math Worksheets are carefully designed to progressively help students advance their math skills.
Math Worksheet Series
PreBeginner Count-up and Count-down series:
Math add count up and sub count down and add/sub count up and down – worksheets that show the struggling student how to use the end points of the number to count up and down to obtain the answer (sample)
- Math Add/Sub PreBeginner series – addition and subtraction worksheets that slowly build up skill levels in a well-thought-out manner (sample)
- PreBeginner Count-up and Count-down series:
- Math Add/Sub Beginner series – addition and subtraction worksheets that carefully build up skill levels using strategic designs (sample)
- Math Add/Sub Strategy Beginner series – addition and subtraction worksheets that help struggling students decide which strategy to us to solve the addition or subtraction fact (sample)
- Math Ladder Sub Beginner series – subtraction worksheets that teach students how to use the 'math ladder method' for subtracting (sheets 0 – 8 use one explanation, sheets 9 and up use another explanation) (sample)
- Math Fact Practice Intermediate series – addition and subtraction worksheets that place related facts together so students can build up their skill level and increase their confidence. (sample)
- Math Fact 01–35 teaching series – are worksheets that show students a range of ways to deal with addition and subtraction facts
Return to Math Skills Index.
Out of the Shadow and into the Sun!
Assisting both special needs and beginning students, Teach All Kids is committed to providing both free and paid member-only worksheets and usage advice based upon proven techniques that help your child or student to be more successful. Those choosing to become subscribed members will have immediate access to over 2,700 additional teaching resources.