ESL - English as a Second Language
Correct the ten most common mistakes and you give students the keys to speaking English so others can understand them.
- pronouncing the letter 'L' - is a matter of positioning the tongue correctly (the tongue should lightly touch the bottom of the upper teeth)
- pronouncing the letter 'R' - is a matter of positioning the tongue correctly (the tongue should remain on the bottom of the mouth)
- adjective articles (a, an, the) - are often not used at all or are used incorrectly
- verb endings - using the correct verb tense can be confusing
- extended word endings - adding an additional unnecessary sound to the end of words (often adding an 'a' sound to words that end in 'd' or 't' eg., find - finda, tent - tenta)
- prepositions - are often not used at all or are used incorrectly
- plurals - are often not used at all or are used incorrectly
- words like some, any - misusing them can change the meaning of a sentence.
- colloquial phrase - are often overused or used incorrectly
- misusing the word 'to'
Refer to our Ten Common Mistakes Worksheet.
Helping students understand the concept of prepositions and the use of articles opens up the door to the English language.
There are 8 parts of speech that students should master.
Check out our Parts of Speech Worksheets
Go to the Grammar - Parts of Speech page.
Check out our Grammar Worksheets.
When words are mispronounced, it is often a matter of placing the tongue in the correct position. (Two of the main culprits are words that contain L and R's.)
- The quickest way to correct mispronunciation is to use lists of commonly mispronounced words.
- Have the student say the word, then show them the correct tongue and teeth positions to use when using that word.
There are over 75 worksheets of:
These ESL Word Lists are an excellent resource to use when working with someone trying to help improve their or your own English pronunciation.
Quote from the internet: I found this fantastic website with free teaching abet information and worksheets: http://www.teachallkids.com/
Providing Quality Teaching Worksheets
Inside this site you'll find over 2,900 proven worksheets to help with math, reading comprehension, language arts, grammar, thinking and ESL learning issues.
Education Resources for ESL for English teaching and practice worksheets, lesson plans, etc.
See our Teaching Resources for printable teaching and practice worksheets, complete lesson booklets, brain teasers, etc.
- Re✓erseFixUp dot pattern worksheets for letter and number reversals.
- Lesson Booklets - complete lessons including Re✓erseFixUp, math drills and concepts, reading comprehension, language arts, word decoding lists, spelling and thinking skills worksheets.
- Math worksheets – teaching and practice for both basic facts and concepts.
- Reading and Language Arts worksheets – teaching and practice.
- Reading Comprehension – worksheets contain educational material requiring the student to answer questions and write a paragraph on the topic.
- Science teaching worksheets.
- Thinking skills worksheets including Brain Teasers, analogies and study techniques.
- Writing technique worksheets including border paper writing sheets.
- Holiday worksheets. – analogies, acrostic poems, alliterations, thinking and math practice sheets.
- Teaching Worksheets (sample)
- Practice Worksheets
- Free Worksheets
- For more information and teaching ideas:
Go to the Website Index
Return to Home Page.
Become a Success - Join Now!
Meeting the needs of both beginning and more advanced students, Teach All Kids is committed to providing both free and paid member-only worksheets and usage advice based upon proven techniques that help your child or student to be more successful. Those choosing to become subscribed members for less than 55¢ a week will have immediate access to over 2,500 additional teaching resources.