Basic Math Strategies
Memorizing math facts often doesn't work for a struggling student.
Our math worksheets are not randomly generated, they are well-thought-out, strategically designed to help students progress through the mathematical learning process.
There are seven basic strategies:
- Count up - if the number that is being added-on is less than 5 have the student use the points on the number to aid them as they count up. eg., 7+3: touch the pencil to the 7 and then touch each of the points on the 3 as they count up: 7, 8, 9, 10.
- Count down - if the number that is being subtracted is less than 5 have the student use the points on the number to aid them as they count down. eg., 7-3: touch the pencil to the 7 and then touch each of the points on the 3 as they count down: 7, 6, 5, 4
- Magic nine - for subtracting 9s, use the magic nine trick which is to add the top two numbers together. eg., 16 - 9 = (1 + 6) = 7
- Math ladder - for two-digit minus one-digit numbers. Take the bottom number and subtract it from ten, then add it to the ones digit of the top number.
eg., 16 - 7 = (10 - 7 = 3) + 6 = 9.
- Doubles - there are five doubles students should memorize, these can then be used for a related fact and regrouping. eg., 5 + 5 = 10, 6 + 6 = 12, 7 + 7 = 14, 8 + 8 = 16 and 9 + 9 = 18
- Related fact - use a math fact they already know to solve a math fact they don't know. eg., 7 + 6, use 6 + 6 = 12, so 7 + 6 = 13.
- Regroup - redistribute the addition numbers. eg., 8 + 6 = 7 + 7 = 14.
Basic Strategies — Mastering Math
- Our teaching math worksheets use proven techniques to help struggling students learn math concepts.
- Our practice math series worksheets are carefully designed to progressively help students advance their math skills.
- Math Add and Sub and AddSub PreBeginner Count-up and Count-down series – addition and subtraction worksheets that show the struggling student how to use the end points of the number to count up and down to obtain the answer
- Math AddSub PreBeginner series – addition and subtraction worksheets that slowly build up skill levels in a well-thought-out manner
- Math AddSub Beginner series – addition and subtraction worksheets that carefully build up skill levels using strategic designs
- Math AddSub Strategy Beginner series – addition and subtraction worksheets that help struggling students decide which strategy to us to solve the addition or subtraction fact
- Math Ladder Sub Beginner series – subtraction worksheets that teach students how to use the 'math ladder method' for subtracting (sheets 0 - 8 use one explanation, sheets 9 and up use another explanation)
- Math Fact 01-35 teaching series – are worksheets that show students a range of ways to deal with addition and subtraction facts
- Math Fact Practice Intermediate series – addition and subtraction worksheets that place related facts together so students can build up their skill level and increase their confidence
Math Strategy Worksheets
Math Worksheet Series
Return to Math Skills Index.
Out of the Shadow and into the Sun!
Assisting both special needs and beginning students, Teach All Kids is committed to providing both free and paid member-only worksheets and usage advice based upon proven techniques that help your child or student to be more successful. Those choosing to become subscribed members will have immediate access to over 2,500 additional teaching resources.