Power over Percentages
Percent means part of 100. Percent (%) is a ratio (fraction) where the bottom number is 100.
eg., Mary got 80% on her test. She got 80 out of 100 answers right.
80% is 80/100.
- simple interest — interest paid on the principal
- mark-ups — the amount added to the original cost of goods
- mark-downs — the reduction in a price
Finding Percentage Technique
The easiest way to handle simple percentages is to use two fractions and 'cross-multiply' them.
Cross-multiply and divide
To find 40% of 60,
– we know that 40% of 60 is 40/100 of 60
– which can also be written as
– Then to find ?, we cross multiply:
40 × 60 = 2400,
– and then divide by the remaining number:
2400 ÷ 100 = 24
so 40% of 60 is 24. (sample)
Beating the Percentages
Teaching Resources for Math for Percentage — teaching and practice worksheets.
Return to Math Skills Index.
Partnering with Percentages
Developed to meet a growing demand for thorough and understandable material, Teach All Kids is committed to providing both free and paid member-only worksheets and usage advice based upon proven techniques that help your child or student to be more successful. Those choosing to become subscribe members will have immediate access to over 2,500 additional teaching resources.